VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. --- The third seed and No. 6 ranked Moravian College softball team scored the only run it would need in the first inning as the Greyhounds posted a 3-0 victory over fourth seed Farmingdale State (N.Y.) College on the opening day of the 2021 NCAA Division III Virginia Beach Regional Friday afternoon.
How It Happened
- The Greyhounds took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning when senior second baseman Shannon Brogan connected on an RBI double down the right field line to score junior right fielder Victoria Smith, who had doubled down the left field line earlier in the inning
- Moravian added a pair of insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth for a 3-0 edge. Sophomore shortstop Alexis Agrapides ripped a two-RBI single through the left side to score sophomore pinch runner Bri Lefkoski and senior left fielder Maura Kane, who had singled
- Sophomore Madison Hummel scattered eight hits and did not allow a walk in the circle as she recorded four strikeouts for her 15th win of the season
- "It was good to come out and get a win right off the bat," stated Head Coach John Byrne. "Obviously in these types of tournaments, it's key to have a good start. I felt we were spot on with pitching and defense; you're going to win championships with those. We had timely hitting and other things that came up at the right time. We should have had some opportunities to capitalize on, but in the end our defense and pitching shut them down. We'd like to see some more timely hitting but when you come out on top, that's all that matters."
- Full post-game interview video with Byrne, Hummel and Brogan available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtWjIadiQ0.
Inside the Numbers
- Moravian had seven hits in the contest with Smith going 2-for-3
- The Blue and Grey left seven runners on base in the game with all seven in scoring position
- Byrne coached his 93rd career game in the NCAA Division III Tournament and is now 46-37 all-time in tournament play. With the victory, Moravian has now won at least one contest in 17 of its 18 appearances in the NCAA Tournament under the direction of Byrne. Bryne's career coaching mark is 894-251 in 28 seasons
Up Next for the Greyhounds
- Saturday, May 22 vs. The College of New Jersey in NCAA Division III Virginia Beach Regional, 12:00 p.m.
- If Moravian wins, Saturday May 22 vs. Virginia Wesleyan University/Farmingdale State (N.Y.) College winner at 4:00 p.m. in NCAA Division III Virginia Beach Regional
- If Moravian loses, Saturday, May 22 vs. Gettysburg College at 2:00 p.m. in elimination game of NCAA Division III Virginia Beach Regional